April 21, 2012

Top Five: Books I Should Probably Read.

Annie Downs does this really fun Top Five Friday thing where she lists all sorts of things from rom coms (romantic comedies--it's ok, I had no idea either) to guilty pleasure music. I am not nearly as fun as Annie, so I don't dare think I could be as creative as she in Top Five topics, but I've been sitting in a rocker all night and I think this one will be fun.
She invites bloggers to link up with her and write about her topic. Yesterday's Top Five was places to have brunch in Nashville. My extent of a Nashville experience is my Aunt Terry's house which really is in Franklin. And brunch, people, seriously? I'm doing good to get a piece of dry toast and glass of water in me most mornings in this crazy phase of life. (I do love the idea of brunch though. Sigh, fancy coffee and an omelet or French toast. Please let's go now.)
So--books it is.

Ahem, here we go...

1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Somehow I managed to sneak through high school without having to read this classic piece of southern literature. I don't have any negative feelings towards this book, it's just that our paths have never crossed. I have it loaded onto my Kindle ready to read.

2. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Again, surprised I slipped past this one in school. A few years ago I went on this mission determined to read "the classics" one Spring and summer. I only made it to two: The Grapes of Wrath (also by Steinbeck) and Pride and Prejudice. I was surprised to like The Grapes of Wrath as much as I did. I think Of Mice and Men deserves a chance too.

3. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

I mean if Garfield has his own version, I should at least respect literature enough to read the original. And, Dickens's Great Expectations is one of my all-time favorite stories.

4. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

This is Steve's recommendation. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but for years he's been telling me I should read it. So, we'll see.

5. Something else by Jane Austen

It took me five tries spread out over several years to read Pride and Prejudice. It finally clicked for me in the summer of 2009. Lying on the white sandy beach in Destin, I could have stayed forever lost in the anguish of Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy's relationship. It was magical. I want to go back and stay there for a while.
I've heard great things about Emma and Mansfield Park. But I'm sure every novel Austen wrote is wonderful. I've just got to pick which one I will enjoy next.

No comments:

Post a Comment